First published on February 21, 2012
The 49th Shelf is an online community around Canadian books. There are many Canadian book publishers with tens of thousands of interesting titles, but until now there was no site that aggregated all of these books in one place. The website was recently re-branded and re-launched with Amazon.ca as its 2012 lead sponsor (see the press release).
Some current interesting and interactive features on The 49th Shelf include:
- Book star ratings, tagging, commenting, and favouriting / bookmarking
- Contests, games, and giveaways
- Author bios, editorial reviews
- Ability to create your own list of books
- Recommended reading lists
- Extensive categorization of books
- A search engine that can be filtered by author, book publisher, and list
- Ability to share books via e-mail, Facebook, and Twitter
Plus, of course, you can simply discover new books.
I am not a particularly accomplished book reader, but I try to make semi-productive use of transit time on the train by reading. Check out my Canadian book list.
And if you just want free books, check out the giveaways page!
- Apply for / renew your Canadian passport faster by filling out the online form
- Review of Canadian high-interest savings accounts: online banking with Citizens Bank of Canada, ING Direct, and PC Financial
- Block Canadian telemarketers: do not call lists
- Call Real Canadian Superstore (RCSS): photolab.ca phone numbers
- Canadian pay as you go / prepaid SIM cards for travellers